The San Francisco Recreation and Park Department is concerned with the health and safety of our parks and our park constituents. Wildlife, natural resources, and irrigation lines can be severely damaged through unpermitted digging or disruption of park property. Pursuant to Park Code 4.06, the removal of any plant, grass, soil, or similar material without permission of the Recreation and Park Department is prohibited. Violation of this Code shall result in a mandatory fine and civil penalty.
Therefore, to support our park constituents’ interest in participating in The Secret Treasure Hunt, the Department is asking prospective treasure hunters to apply for a permit to dig under the supervision of a Park Ranger. Please complete this form. Please note that processing can take up to 2 weeks.
Secret Treasure Hunt Permit Rules:
- Permit will be granted on a first come first serve basis
- Activity is supervised by SF Rec & Parks Park Ranger
- Specify activity location in permit application
- 1 hole, 1-hour time limit per permit
- Permits will be offered Mon-Fri 9am to 10 am or 12 pm to 1 pm.
- One permit per day in each time slot
- Probing poles are allowed up to 3.5 feet
- Hand-digging only, no power tools permitted
- Hole may not exceed 2 feet in diameter, 3.5 feet deep
- Avoid drip-line of trees
- Tools and tarps must be supplied by permittee
- Hole must be refilled and all turf must be replaced exactly as found
- No filming allowed
In the event of failure, permittee may apply for a separate permit for follow-up attempt provided that for all attempts after three, permittee must pay the cost of staff time ($140).