Groups may hold Outdoor Religious Gatherings for the practice of religion, including religious services and religious ceremonies, and Outdoor Political Protest Gatherings for in person political protests, subject to the following conditions:
- Attendance: No more than 200 individuals may participate in the gathering subject to a reduction on the number of people based on size of venue; and simultaneous gatherings in the same location or vicinity are prohibited;
- Duration: All Outdoor Gatherings must be scheduled to conclude in no more than two hours;
- Food and Beverage: No food or beverages may be served or sold;
- Social Distancing: Participants must maintain at least six feet of distance from members of different households and if there is not adequate space attendance must be reduced or an alternative location must be chosen;
- Face Coverings: All participants must wear a face covering, subject to the limited exceptions in Health Officer Order No. C19-12c (e.g., for young children); and
- Singing, Chanting and Musical Instruments Limited: One individual at a time may sing, chant, shout and play a wind/brass instrument, provided: (1) the person singing, chanting, or shouting is at least 12-feet from any other person; and (2) the person singing, chanting, or shouting is wearing a Face Covering at all times; and (3) the instrument’s bells and/or openings where air/sound exit are covered with a mask/other fabric at all times. Participants may not sing, chant, or shout along with the person who is engaging in that activity.
- Common Objects or Equipment: No sharing or common use of objects or equipment is permitted unless those objects or equipment are sanitized with cleaning products effective against COVID-19 in between uses by members of different households;
- Other Health Order Requirements: The gathering must comply with all of the relevant requirements set forth in Health Officer Directive No. 2020-19d regarding outdoor gatherings; and must complete a Health and Safety Plan and a Social Distancing Protocol referenced in the directive.
Outdoor Special Gathering Applications require a minimum of 5 Business Days to process unless it is an Emergency Event (examples would be freedom of speech events over new issues).
Once the application is reviewed you will be notified (if you do not hear from us, please call 415-831-5500) as follows:
- Your application is denied and the reason or
- Your application is tentatively approved and can move forward for processing. You will subsequently receive a list of conditions necessary to receive a permit (including fees).