Required Documents for a CDL

Save & Return

Use an account to return to saved work.

You will need to take the originals of all these required documents:

Proof of identity, and U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residence in the United States

Documents for Identity/ U.S. Citizenship:

An original birth certificate bearing an Official Seal issued by a State, County, Municipal Authority, or outlying possession of the United States (Hospital Registrations, Birth Records, or Birth Notifications will not be accepted).

An original certified copy of a birth certificate with an Official Seal by a State, County, Municipal Authority, or outlying possession of the United States (copy of a certified copy will not be accepted).

  • Valid United States Passport
  • Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the United States Department of State (Form FS-545 or DS-1350)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (Form N550 or N570 or N578)
  • Certificate of U. S. Citizenship (Form N560 or N561)

Documents for Lawful Permanent Residence Status in the United States:

To be acceptable as proof of residency a document must show a New Mexico physical residence address. A New Mexico P.O. Box address is not acceptable as evidence of NM residency.


I understand that all documents must be original or a certified copy. MVD will also accept copies that are sent directly from the agency that issues or holds the documentation. All documentation must be current. Documents that applicants receive monthly, such as insurance and utility bills and bank statements, must be dated no more than 60 days prior to the date of application for a CDL. *

Upload Documentation


I certify that the information I have provided above is accurate to the best of my knowledge. *
Powered byFormsite
Secured by Formsite