To ensure safe and fun days on the water this Summer, I promise to abide by the SAFE RIDER pledge:
SCAN THE WATER
• I will constantly scan for people, objects, and other watercraft.
• I will avoid areas with submerged objects or shallow water.
AVOID AGGRESSIVE MANEUVERS
• I will ride within my limits and avoid aggressive maneuvers.
• I will avoid jumping wakes or waves.
• I will make predictable maneuvers so that others may anticipate my course.
FOLLOW LOCAL BOATING LAWS
• I will learn my state’s boating laws, including its minimum operator age.
• I will take a boater safety education course.
EXAMINE YOUR EQUIPMENT
• I will always check my throttle and steering controls for proper operation before I start my PWC.
• I will always wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket and protective clothing, such as a wet suit bottom or clothing that provides equivalent protection.
• I will keep aboard and maintain all required safety equipment.
REACT TO CONDITIONS
• I will operate defensively and adjust my speed to match conditions.
INSIST ON A SAFE DISTANCE
• I will keep a safe distance away from people, objects, and other watercraft.
• I will take early action to avoid collisions.
• I will never ride after consuming drugs or alcohol.
EVALUATE WEATHER AND WATERWAYS
• I will be alert for conditions that limit my visibility or block my vision of others.
RESPECT THE ENVIRONMENT
• I will respect ecologically sensitive areas, and refuel carefully to avoid spills. I will be sensitive to marine life.